Q: I just received my Ruckus Unleashed APs. How do I set up my Unleashed network?
A: You can configure one Unleashed AP as your initial Unleashed Master AP by following any of the three methods described below. Once the Unleashed Master is configured, simply connect other Unleashed APs to the same network and they will automatically become member APs and form your Unleashed Network.
Use any of the following options to configure the initial Unleashed Master AP:
- As soon as the Unleashed AP boots up and is connected to a local network, it begins broadcasting a temporary unencrypted WLAN with an SSID named Configure.Me-xxxxxx on both radios. The "xxxxxx" is the last 3 octets of the AP's MAC address.
- Using your wireless client's Wi-Fi configuration settings, select and associate to the Configure.Me WLAN.
- Launch a web browser and browse to any web page. You will be automatically redirected to unleashed.ruckuswireless.com.
Note: For Unleashed release 200.5 and later, you can enter any domain name.
- The browser will be redirected to the Unleashed Setup Wizard. Follow the instructions to configure your initial Unleashed Network.
Option 2: Using a wired client device
- Connect the client device to the same network as the Unleashed AP with an Ethernet cable. Make sure the client can ping the AP's IP address.
- Launch a web browser and enter the Unleashed AP's IP address, and press Enter.
- The browser screen will be redirected to the Unleashed Setup Wizard. Follow the instructions to configure your initial Unleashed network.
Option 3: Using the Unleashed Mobile App on a mobile device
Install the Ruckus Unleashed Mobile App on your mobile device, open the app, select Typical Install, and follow the instructions.
Q: My Wi-Fi device successfully connects to Configure.Me_xxxxxx WLAN but the device cannot reach the Unleashed AP's web UI. What should I do?
|Unleashed release||AP's WLAN interface IP address||Client IP address range||Remarks|
|200.0||192.168.101.1||192.168.101.31~.253||The LAN network IP addresses cannot overlap with 192.168.101.1/24, otherwise network reachability issues can occur.|
|200.1, 200.2, 200.3||169.254.1.1||169.254.1.31~.253||Some Apple devices (incl. iPhone and iPad) don't work well with IP addresses assigned in this subnet. Therefore, the Unleashed Mobile App on these devices may encounter errors when setting up an Unleashed network.|
|200.4 and later||10.154.231.125||10.154.231.130~.180||Under the assumption that this address most likely will not overlap with customers’ LAN IP assignment.|
Q: My device can access the Unleashed web interface, but it fails in running the Setup Wizard. What can I do?
A: Try to access the web UI or factory reset the Unleashed AP and restart the initialization process again. If the process still fails, please follow the issue reporting method at the beginning of this document to report the issue.
Q: Do all Member APs need to be upgraded to join a Master AP that is running a different Unleashed image version?
A:Yes, the member APs must be upgraded to the exact same version as the Master AP to form an Unleashed network. Fortunately, in most cases you can simply connect the member APs to the same subnet as the Master AP, and as long as the Unleashed Master AP can reach the Ruckus firmware image server, firmware upgrades for all connected APs will be performed automatically.
Q: I have multiple Unleashed APs that potentially can have different image versions installed. How do I check their version numbers and perform the firmware upgrades before installation to avoid any potential problems?
- To check AP version:
- To upgrade an image from the AP CLI, one easy way is to load the AP image onto a TFTP server, and then use the following commands:
fw set control <image file name>
fw set proto tftp
fw set host <TFTP server address>
Q: I have an Unleashed Network running already and plan to add a new AP to the network. However, the new AP doesn't seem to be able to join the existing Unleashed Network. What should I do?
- The new AP failed to receive a valid IP address. Check your DHCP server.
- The new AP is connected to a different network from the existing Unleashed network. Make sure the AP is connected to the same subnet as the existing Master AP.
- The new AP already has configuration on it. In this case, factory reset the AP by using a pin to push into the "Reset" hole for 10 seconds while the AP is powered on.
- The total number of APs in the Unleashed AP has reached its maximum. Currently an Unleashed network can have up to 25 APs.
- Ensure that the AP model of the new AP is supported by the version that the Master AP is running. If not, you will need to upgrade the existing Unleashed Network first, for the new AP to participate.
- Ensure that the Master AP can reach the Ruckus image server so it can locate the appropriate image and instruct the new AP to install it.
- Alternatively, download the desired AP image onto an administrative PC and upgrade the new AP image by using AP CLI in an SSH session.
Q: How do I check whether the Unleashed Master has a connection to the Internet?
A: Beginning with Unleashed 200.6, the top component on the Dashboard, "Internet," can be expanded to display the Ethernet port status, IP address, gateway and DNS servers, and Internet connection status.Figure 1. Internet tab